25 October 2006

Tetramorium caespitum


Proverbs tells the sluggard to:
"look to the ant and be wise... It has no commander, no overseer or
ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at
harvest."
So... we looked to the ant. (My title is the Latin term for the common "pavement ant.")
Busy, busy worker ants
Their Queens
Homeschool moms can retain their dignity- as long as dignity includes chenille wire antennae. I think Chris even had to discipline one of her kids while wearing hers. On a scale of 1-10, how seriously do you think he took her?
This little ant took pictures
Her ant models
"Gimme pouty. A little more aloof. Let me see you say, 'I have so many other things to be doing.' Ok, now let me see a little more bashful. Timid. Do some, 'I don't really know what all the fuss is about.' Good, good."

An ant conga line

Two years ago we had an ant farm for another h'school project, so we decided to forego it this year. Instead we made ants out of egg cartons and used floor pillows to illustrate the different layers of activity in an ant mound. Above, the queen lays the eggs in the deepest part of the mound.

Below, a nurse any cares for the pupae. My, how they've grown!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

Some things are timeless, ants out of egg cartons! Awesome and you all look so cute with your antennaes!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home