03 November 2006

Be Brief Already!

Charles Dickens takes an awfully long time getting into the plot of his stories. My kind of guy.

As a child, I whiled away the precious minutes before school with a bowl of cereal and the phone book, the latest sale catalogs and mailers, Dad's road atlas, or the dictionary. (Why just eat a bowl of limp Raisin Bran when you can eat limp Raisin Bran and surround yourself with words at the same time?)

In the world of language, there are words and there are meanings of those words.
We're all taught to boil language down to the simplest, most concise term possible, but, ya know, I gotta ask- why opt for just ONE word, when the definition of that word itself tempts you with THIRTEEN lovely gems?

Definition: the action or the power of describing, explaining, or making definite and clear.

My sentiments exactly, Mr. Webster.




Now
point! you
her see
making why
to it
around takes
get Erin
to such
time a
long

2 Comments:

Blogger Erica P. said...

Did it take you a long time to do your letter phrase at the bottom like that? I sat and looked at it and was like, "What in the world! That doesn't make sense!" I like that! Tricky...

8:46 PM  
Blogger Carolanne said...

I especially like the last letter phrase. Tricky it might have been but would you mind if I one day "stole" your idea and used it at my blogsite, please?! I'll give you all the credit!

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home