19 October 2008

FieldTrip: Mt. Vernon

The place where it all began. Our long and illustrious line of presidents, that is.
The facade of this home is gorgeous!


Such a fine day for a field trip. This was only last week too! 70 degrees and sunny.

We came upon a woman sewing clothing for one of Mr. Washington's slaves. She showed us the contents of her sewing basket and engaged the kids in a logic puzzle.


In the Upper Garden, an archaeological dig underway to determine the footprint of the original gardens and paths. Fascinating stuff to this wannabe archaeologist.


Middle daughter snapped this photo of what she affectionately called, "Brain Flower."
(Also known as "celosia" or "cockscomb")


The Washington family hosted several foreign dignitaries and American founding fathers at their Mt. Vernon plantation.
If I were invited to stay, and they suddenly ran out of beds...


... I'd happily sleep in the greenhouse.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you make me want to homeschool....

9:03 PM  
Blogger Laurie A. said...

i'm with you ... the greenhouse it is! i stopped by from HCB.

9:51 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Nice that you live within striking distance (I know, I kind of do too, but it takes a bigger pitch to get me this far. : )

11:38 AM  
Blogger Billy Coffey said...

Visiting, too, from HCB. Love Mount Vernon. I'm about forty minutes from Monticello. Have you been there? Beautiful place.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

We lived in DC for about 6 months a few years ago, and made it our mission to see EVERYTHING. Mt Vernon on Easter weekend was pretty special, and since I have a Master's in archaeology with a focus on botanicals, was SUPER cool to me. We still have one of the boxwoods (propagated from the ones George planted himself) and a redbud tree that we got at the plant sale that weekend! Weather was a lot like you had, but we only had one (of our three) kids at the time--am pretty envious of the six you had to share it with!!

Great photos--made me wish I could go back sooner rather than later.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home