10 September 2008

I Dream of Men in Powdered Wigs

Image:Congress voting independence.jpg
Congress Voting Independence
Edward Savage and Robert Edge Pine, 1776


Last night I went to sleep thinking about The French and Indian War. I woke up this morning contemplating The Quartering Act, The Stamp Act and the Intolerable Acts. The battles of Lexington and Concord. Cannon fire, musket rounds, passionate speeches, eloquently written pamphlets, head cheese, frozen feet, stone garden walls, muslin and buckskin. And wigs, wigs, everywhere.

The events leading up to the War for Independence are the topic of conversation around our house these days and I can't help but wonder at my dullness for the last 20 years, because it's finally all coming together and making sense to me. And spilling over into my dreams.
Every man in my dream last night wore a powdered white wig.

No recollection of what they were doing or saying, just white cottony hairpieces strutting around the stages of my subconscious and gesturing emphatically.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelli said...

Hmm.... are you studying wisdom by any chance????

7:48 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

You found me out. I think all of KONOS-land is studying Wisdom this semester.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home