05 November 2007

The Artist Formerly Known

Our family spent our sabbath at the National Gallery of Art yesterday, visiting the Edward Hopper exhibit and creating our own "Hopper-esque" masterpieces. Everyone knows that artists go through formative stages.
Growth spurts and fallow periods.
Growing pains and adrenaline rushes.
Bloggers are surely no different. We all go through a metamorphosis of sorts. LL tagged me to share mine, so I'm coming out of my fallow period to take a look at my blogging career.

The Artist's Formative Post:
She examines her identity, what her place might be in the blogging ranks, and why she occupies space in the blogosphere. (Anonymous, you might find this an enlightening paper lantern.)
This work is titled, Grasping at a Straw of Creativity

The Artist Begins to Feel the Pressure of Public Audience:
She feels she has nothing to say, yet feels she has to say something since everyone is looking at her, so she does it... she says something. She probably should have just kept quiet.
This work is titled, Today I Sharpened 48 Colored Pencils

The Artist Examines Spritual Questions of Great-ish Proportions:
Deep-ish thoughts are all around us.
This work is titled, Beware, The Holy Sprit

The Artist Pretends to Be Someone She is Not (for the sake of education, of course). One work in a series examining the meaning and extent of home education. The artist pushes the envelope of conventional “grown up-ness.”
This work is titled, We’re Vikings

The Artist Examines Spiritual Questions of Greater Proportion:
Truly, this is not an easy life to live. She feels the growing pains of a planet and a people who yearn for wholeness, yet find it elusive, this side of heaven.
This work is titled, Love in a Hurricane


I hope my fallow period will not last too long. I miss talking with you all. I'm like the Artist Formerly Known.
Just plain
Formerly. Known.

11 Comments:

Blogger christianne said...

Oh, Erin. I love this post. I can't wait to go back and read all these histories of you. I adore your creative nature, that you would think and choose to go about your meme in this original way.

I've been missing you, friend. Been thinking the past couple days that I haven't seen you around much, and was hoping you were okay. You are definitely NOT the artist formerly known, in my book.

Love to you.

PS: My word verification is "graapz." I like to read it like Chunk on the Goonies when he's crying and stomping around for his Baby Ruth, only this time he's gone healthy and is crying for his grapes. "GRAAAAAAPZZZ!"

10:21 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

I'm with Christianne. I miss you. And I loved this. So creative. Very, uh, Artist Currently Known As. I also need to go back and read the other posts. (Should I just have said "Ditto, Christianne"?)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Christianne,
I imagine you saying "SPIDERZZZZZZ!" (But not in a longing, whiny fashion.)
I'm wondering why I didn't take the time to post an Edward Hopper painting here.

Probably because if I did, I'd reduce myself even further and you'd have to call me, "The Artist Formerly."

L.L.
Please do NOT ditto!! Original presentation of echoed thoughts are completely acceptable. Even valued.
After all, this is the first time in a long time that we've "chatted" on my blog. I'd sure hate for you to just say, "Ditto." :)

10:48 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm piping in with my ditto.
I love your posts. Miss ya, girl.

12:15 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

Ha ha -- your quip about the Hopper image and "the artist formerly" was clever, clever girl.

Ah, spiders. How I despise their existence. Why, God, did you have to populate the planet with these detestable creatures??

7:10 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Journeying with you is such a privilege, Erin!

10:20 PM  
Blogger gramarty said...

Hear! Hear! and Amen!

Ditto? ...it would be as sad as receiving a Christmas card containing only a signature. I'd rather have a single sentence about someone's boring, mundane existence.

To my chagrin, I hardly ever even send them. Now that I think of it, it seems rather Hopperesque.

2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not the artist formerly known as. Instead, I see you as the amazing artist who continually produces the most insightful tunnels into truth. Thanks for so carefully examining yourself so that we can learn about ourselves. I miss you too!

7:25 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

So, I've begun. Tonight was "Grasping at the Straws..." I don't have anything particularly wise or amazing to say about. Just that I love hearing you think through the keyboard. A wisp, a paper lantern, that comes my way, brightens my moments.

8:42 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

All right, and now I read the one on the pencils. Yes, violet blue is good. And isn't it just like that sometimes... all we have energy for is the regular tasks of life, and we don't have much to say about them either, and it's okay.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

By the way, I had my coffee cuff at church the other day and got several complements on it.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home