30 May 2007

I Have Trouble With Forward Motion

Recent events in my life have had me thinking about this song by Relient K, one of my hubby's favorite bands. And this song, for some reason unbeknownst to anyone but God, makes me think of Abraham. The guy sometimes just had a hard time connecting his identity as a chosen one with his decisions about how to move forward through life.

cause forward motion is harder than it sounds
well every time i gain some ground
i gotta turn myself around again

Kind of reminds me of someone else I know who's had some recent events in her life.

Completely outside of that, life in this fallen world offers up it's own "delightful" set of stumbling blocks. Often one right after the other.

too many turns have turned out to be wrong

Abraham had a bit of trouble with forward motion.
I suppose that meeting the Creator God Almighty for the first time ever and only sharing a relationship with Him for a few short decades makes it understandable that he'd stumble a bit here and there. When you're just getting to know The Great Mystery of the Universe you might take one step forward, two steps back. Frequently.

4,000 years later, I have the benefit of the complete revelation of Scripture, the presence of the Holy Spirit, the redemption and inheritance of Jesus Christ. I don't have the excuses Abraham might have had. But, like Abraham, I've got trouble with forward motion.

Praise God that His grace and favor are granted to me, measure upon measure.
Praise God that He is ONLY forward motion. No stopping to smell the roses (ok, well maybe, just because He created them and they give Him pleasure), no dithering, no weighing the options, no veering to the right or to the left, no looking over His shoulder longingly at what might have been.
Praise God that it is this same power and determination that is made strong in my weakness.

it's good to
to experience the bittersweet

to taste defeat
then brush your teeth

Because Jesus knows I am made of mere flesh and will struggle with forward motion until Kingdom Come.
Praise God that He's the one moving me forward. In spite of myself. Until Kingdom Come.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Great connection! Can I steal it for my study ;)
By the way, the mp3 is working on my side. ReliantK is singing away.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Heather,
Do YOU struggle with forward motion too?! I'm just shocked.
Please use the song, the connection, the whatever for your study. I'd like to see your rock video for this passage of Scripture. :)

MP3 player functionality is thanks to the One who is ONLY forward motion. That's all I can say.

11:23 AM  
Blogger christianne said...

This post is amazing. It moved me. A lot. Thanks for sharing your beautiful heart!

7:36 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Only two steps back? Smile and be at rest.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin - There were so many things here that touched my heart and made me feel more grace for my present position in life. I especially liked the line about Jesus never looking longingly over his shoulder. Hebrews says he endured suffering for the joy set before him. I also liked the line from the song about tasting something bittersweet and then brushing his teeth. This really is what forgiveness does. It not only erases sin, but it also can remove the bad taste left from it.

Just beautiful, Erin.

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home