12 January 2007

Only SIX?!

Heather tagged me to reveal six of my weirdnesses. Oh, how shall I ever winnow it down to so few? I've got weirdness oozing out of every pore. (Ewwww! THAT is just right straight outta The Outer Limits.)

Ok, we're off!

1) I used to think that"the Greek system" at colleges and universities was for actual, literal, people from Greece. Why are they so special that they get to have their own "system"??
I was once on a youth group beach trip and heard that it was "Greek Week" where we camped. I was just shocked to see that there were so many dark skinned people of Greek origin! Assuming there must've been a mass migration of North and West Africans to the Greek isles at some point in history, I rationalized it away.
Only to figure it out later that "Greek" refers to the sorority and fraternity lettering system, and the dark-skinned Greek Week I witnessed was a gathering of all the local African-American fraternities and sororities. (Still cracks me up!)

2) I have a penchant for making posters and charts about my expectations in life. Lately, I've called this, "Ten Commandment Syndrome." Somehow I think that making a pretty poster and taping it to the wall for all the world to see is the equivalent of making a change in my life. "Erin's Kitchen Clean-up Chart" "The 25 I-Will-Never's of This House" "How to Load the Dishwasher Properly" "Rebekah's Obedience Chart"(complete with stickers and happy faces). "32 Steps to Self-Control" I walk right by those suckers and never give them a second look! So much for change.

3) I love orange juice.

4) I always get into trouble at art museums. The guards don't like how close I stand to the paintings. But I want to know how the artist laid down his paint. I want to see the detail of the highlights on that pearl ring. I want to discover the colors he blended to get such a rich violet for the sunset.
Those-a guards, they don-a like-a me too much. I-a breathe on their-a precious masterpieces. That's Italian mafia-speak, just for Heather.

5) I am an artist, yet I can't choose paint to save my life. Something misfires when I stand at the paint counter at the DIY store. I know exactly what I want. I buy gallons and gallons of it. I take it home. And it's all wrong.

6) The longest I've held a full-time job is 3 1/2 months. I hated it! (I was a floral designer, which I loved. Just hated employment.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

grazi.
ciao

3:53 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Damoff said...

Small world. I love orange juice, too.

"Buy your jelly donut several green overcoats." (byjdsgo)

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you just knew I was going to come and see how weird you are;)

I'm from another country, so that whole fraternity/sorority scene is 'Greek to me'.

Only three and a half months in full time employment! That's not weird, that's Utopia.

4:18 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Mental note (or poster material)... "Do Not Go to Art Museum with Erin." Two of us at once might cause the guards a serious heart attack.

4:42 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

I loved this post, Erin. I chuckled to myself out loud without realizing it. My husband wanted to know what was so funny. I shared some of these with him. Hope you don't mind. :)

I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one who has a hard time staying interested at work. I average about a year to year-and-a-half. I hate to admit that I feel a bit better about that now that I've read your confession. ;)

BTW, I just noticed that you live in Maryland. Kirk and I will be up there next weekend for a conference on William Wilberforce. (Ever heard of him? The Amazing Grace movie coming out next month chronicles the story of his life in his work to eradicate the slave trade in Great Britain.) I've never been to Maryland. What can we expect this time of year?

8:33 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Willowtree- I'm a'waitin' for YOUR weirdness post. Or... is it your entire blog?

L.L.- My two year old once fingered a 13th century tempera-on-panel of St. Matthew. Right in front of the museum guard. I coulda died.

Christianne- What can you expect in MD this time of year? You can expect me to invite you for a cup of coffee. :)
Weather-wise, it's been crazy. Nearly 70 degrees one day, snowing the next. I feel like I'm living back in Dallas.
Dress in layers. And have fun while you're here.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just hit the 4-year mark at my current job, and I was expecting the world to end or something. I guess I've finally earned the word "longevity," though before, I would have been much more in the 3-month club. What is it about jobs that just make it hard to stay? All that work?

Is orange juice weird, and I didn't get the memo? Maybe I'm weirder than I thought!

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home