28 November 2006

Early Settlers II

Welcome to this addition of "What Life Was Like Back Then!" I'm your host, the homeschooling mom who nearly set her apron on fire.

This week, we examine what the early settlers might have eaten and the games the children might have played.

First, work up an appetite by doing a lot of chores. In this case, move a log into position so we can play a game after we eat.

The moms never found out if early settlers would have eaten scrambled eggs, but it's easy to cook in a cast iron skillet over a fire made from twigs, so we went with it.

Anna tastes eggs and "salt pork" (cold ham). Water wasn't clean in those days, so most settler children drank beer. We opted for apple cider.

Johnnycakes with maple syrup. We all agreed they were delicious!

Make sure there is absolutely NO syrup left on your spoon.

Johnnycake in the skillet
For dessert- baked apples. Did they eat dessert in 1607?


The kids learn a balancing game popular in the Colonies.

Balance, Anna!

Good settlers learn the Pledge of Allegiance. And there wasn't even an America at the time! (Aren't we forward-thinking?)

P.S. Lest you think I'm just totally inept, there was another fire burning off to the side here. It was bigger, with taller flames, and that is where my apron kept billowing. (Ok, so that still doesn't disprove my ineptitude, but I feel a little better by telling you that.)

10 Comments:

Blogger gramarty said...

I love the music! I'm sure it made the early settlers lives a bit merrier in the drudge of early settling.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Sprittibee said...

Loved the music! Thanks for sharing it! :) Cute pictures! We read that Washington liked to eat hoe-cakes. That would be a really neat thing to make... a cornmeal pancake on the end of a hoe over an open fire! Watch out for the ashes!

See: "George Washington's Breakfast" the book.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Roberta said...

What a fun time you all must have had. I like the music too...I also like the Jerry Lewis song, I went to show it to my friend, who loves silly stuff as much as I do, and you had already changed it. If your taking a vote I vote "bring it back"! :) My son and I just cracked up so much on the line "she must think I'm covered in noses." LOL
I am curious how do you get an mp3 player on your blog.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

You have to go back to my blog and see my mess-up. Boy is my face red. A non-reader indeed!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Roberta said...

Thanks for replying Erin. Mine is a music code thingy from off the web, and if you click on it you go to their site. Yours seems like something different. There is nothing to click on to go to their host site...kwim. (I know I am so overwhelming you with my knowledge of technical jargon). And yes, I would like to know the code or maybe you said url for J.L. I had googled it before with no sucess. Thanks :)

3:59 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

This looks so cool! I'm going to show it to my kids. (And then give them a beer... uh, I mean an apple cider. :)

7:40 AM  
Blogger Jen DeHuff said...

"...we opted for cider."
hilarious. : )

11:12 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

Will you homeschool my kids? The whole litter of 'em?

2:27 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

Will you homeschool my kids? The whole litter of 'em?

2:28 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

btw, I showed this to my kids. They loved it. And now they're planning a history experience for a homeschool game and club group we attend. Thanks for the inspiration!

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home