18 December 2006

Unravelling

Last night, I was rewinding a ball of yarn that my girls like to use for their craft projects. It had become a matted, nasty mess of tangles- easily contained, but unuseable.

This morning, God revisited that image with me in light of my own experience.


Prayer for Unravelling

Lord, my life seems to be coming apart
From so many ends
Churches that discipled me, that still disciple me
Falling apart
Members of your Bride, dismembering themselves
Leaving,
Saying things they ought not say
They're out the door with no reconciliation
Is your Bride unravelling?

I feel like we're out of control
Just spinning, spinning, spinning
Who's in charge? Who has the reputation of Christ in mind?
Who is sacrificing their desires, their rights, their pride for the sake of Christ?
WHO is in Charge?

WHO is.
In charge.
I AM.
In charge.
(Precisely.)

In order to use this ball of yarn, I first have to unravel it.
I need to untangle what's tangling.
What seems a spinning out of control to you, is simply My skilled hand untangling your hearts

I must spread this yarn to its length.
Far and wide.
The two ends may never meet again- until I've completed my creation.

To unravel this yarn's perception of itself
It's perception of Me and my grace
It's assumptions about what I hold dear
To unravel its high opinion of itself
Its feeling that it was doing alright, when really,
That easily-contained clump of yarn
Was utterly unuseable to Me.


I AM is unravelling me.
I AM is unravelling His Bride.
I AM has a design for this ball of yarn- but first it must be untangled.
To be useful in the I AM's hands, I must submit my tangly heart to His unravelling.
Dizzying as it is.

I AM, unravel my marriage.
I AM, unravel my relationship with my children.
I AM, untangle my church.

I AM, make us useable and then use us.
Make me something of purpose for your grand design.
Lord, undo me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I like this metaphor, but I don't like the unraveling!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Erica P. said...

This is wonderful! I especially love what you wrote about the "Bride, dismembering themselves". Man I have seen so much of that lately, and question why? I see the effects, and I feel them. Why do personal interests come before Christ's interest? I don't get it. Why don't people realize that it isn't about them and their wants and their needs, and it's all about Christ wants and needs. UGGGHHHHH! Okay, I just vented a bit.

I still loved your blog!

12:38 PM  
Blogger greta lynn hernandez said...

I thought my comment was already through?!? If there are 2, oops...my bad. (Does that show my age, or what?)

In case the other one didn't go through--I'm catching up on your posts after my three weeks or so out of touch with cyberspace. The great news is that we should be in TX by the end of this week!

More on that in the prayer letter to come out soon since this comment box isn't my own personal space! :)

1:12 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

I like this image... it is one I think of sometimes when I get frustrated about how much TIME it seems to take to set things right. But God's fingers are at work, unraveling, unraveling.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

I've been part of an unraveling church before. Man does it hurt, especially the knots that He has to use His teeth to untie. But you know what, out of that one disheveled mess He made a number of different creations. At first it felt like separation, but then I realized that we were all still from the same ball of yarn, so really we were all still part of each other. It hurt, it wasn't always happy (or even kind), and it wasn't always glorifying to God, but He made it beautiful. He always does.

Be excited to see what He makes of it. Trust Him. He doesn't even need a "Knitting for Dummies" book. He's got this.

Awesome poetry about your challenge, awesome challenge for you to lay at His feet. I'm praying for you.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful - all of it. I particularly like the image of the unraveling. As you know, this is also near to my heart right now.

I feel like the Lord is unraveling me -showing me all the weak and frayed areas of my fibers. He not only needs to untangle me, but also to patch and repair me. There is nothing so ugly as when people act ugly when calling out another person's ugliness. I think you know what I'm talking about and know I'm speaking of nobody more than myself right now. Isn't Satan having a good old time? But as the Evil one thinks he is making a mess with his unraveling, really God is using Satan's plans to do His own work. What Satan thinks he is wrecking will be lovingly re-made for a useful, Godly purpose. Praise Him!!

Thanks for giving me such a beautiful image to run with this morning!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home