28 March 2008

Economists

I had to fill-up the ol' minivan today. $3.35 a gallon.

So I polled my backseat audience when I climbed back in, smelling of petrol, "Look at the monitor and see how much we just spent on gas! There are still a lot of cars bustling about town, how high do you guys think gas prices are going to have to get before the average American makes a significant change in their driving habits? Maybe decides to stay home and fix dinner on a Friday night instead of hitting the road for the local McDonald's?"


The 9 year old: "I have no idea." (Translation: "I'm really into this book about horse and pony stories, will you please stop your maternal yammering?") I can tell when I'm being written off.

The 4 year old: "Yeah! I like McDonald's!! Can we go eat at McDonald's, Mommy?" (My dear child, that was not my point. No, we can't go out for lunch.)

The 7 year old: "Well, Mom, I guess maybe if gas was $190 a gallon people might stop driving so much. Or maybe $100. Or maybe $90. Yeah, they'd probably stop driving if it was $90 a gallon."



I will definitely stop driving if gas prices reach $90 a gallon.

What's your limit?

6 Comments:

Blogger Childress Family said...

I don't know about a limit. My mother-in-law would say, "Gas and money serve us." I just try to keep perspective. It's still cheaper than milk and we still pay far less than in Europe where it's like 4 Euros per LITER. Smart Cars, anyone? I love the girls' responses.

9:33 PM  
Blogger christianne said...

That's a really great question. One to which I do not really have an answer. I have not switched to a hybrid car yet and don't know when I will. In the meantime, I'm thankful that I only drive 2-1/2 miles to school each day, no longer 25 miles to work.

But still.

I think this whole shift the world is trying to make to go green and use hydrogen instead of gas is going to take a long, long time to take. Do you? I have a feeling it will be like enduring a massive sea change that just about tumbles us underwater ten times in really slow motion.

I'd be down with everyone telecommuting from home as a matter of course. Because I'm a homebody and would rather stay in my house if given the option of that or going outside each day. Does that make me agoraphobic?

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankfully, I work from home.
But...
I have several road trips coming up. We may be on a ramen noodle diet afterward.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

My cutoff point was $1.83...then I'd start riding my bike everywhere.

Then gas went to $1.85, and I didn't have a bike.

I decided I could pay more for gas, or I could use that money to buy a bike. But if I bought a bike, I'd have to use it.

Therefore my laziness will most likely take me to $90/gallon...maybe even $190.

*sigh* Ellie sure understands the American mindset. Street smart beyond her years.

9:33 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

That's hilarious. I love, love, love the perspective of kids.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Roberta said...

definitely will stop before $90! lol funny!
Thankfully our trips to town our infrequent...and we can squeeze into the tiny non-gas guzzler when necessary. But soon I may be trading even that in for a few tandem bicycles (with baskets). You know this COULD be a way for us *fat lazy Americans*...(me included) to burn of some of that so-called food they sell in the grocery stores, and promote on the food pyramid agenda.
*sigh*
I remember swerving into the gas station...on fumes...(minutes before I was to be seated at school), pulling out a handful of change and buying a gallon of gas for 85 cents. That would take me another 15-20 miles. And I could fill up for less than 10 bucks! WOW!
And milk and eggs? oi!

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home