13 March 2008

Shiny Happy Theologians

What is it about growing up that breeds skepticism?
What is it about growing up in the faith that somehow drives us attempt to understand the Eternal One in minutia? To the nth degree? Under the microscope?
To break out the magnifying glass and the nit pickers?*
Why do we get so wrapped around the axle over things we can't possibly comprehend?


Jesus is giving us a break when he says to come to him like a child. "Relax. Trust that it's true. Be like your 6 year old who knows she doesn't know everything about the world, and she's ok with that. It's not tripping her up. It's not depressing her. She's not stalled out in her faith, she's sitting in the back seat of the car, singing and working out her theology. Belting out the mysteries of the Trinity and eternal life. "La la la la! La la la la!"

Can we worship Him for His omni-everything-ness without having to understand how it works? Can I?

Let me rest confident in His nature, hop on my bike and ride in circles, singing at the top of my lungs.

Never ending.
Always.
You will never end.
Because you're always never ending.
You were there before there was beginning.
Always you were.
You are never ending.
Here you are now with us.
Here we are found in you.
That's really weird and I don't get it, but
La la la la! La la la la!


How profound the theology of a child. How deep the trust. How bright the bliss of being loved.


* Please don't misunderstand me here. The God of the Universe is completely capable of withstanding our scrutiny and our nit picking. He can totally hack it. And often times our close-up examination of God breaks us through to a completely new level of relationship with Him.
I just don't think that He
owes us an explanation for Himself and His ways. I don't think we deserve to know all the answers. And I don't think complete understanding is a requirement for belief. Salvation is a free gift- a free gift, and a Giver, that I will never completely understand.
I can become cynical and depressed when I strive to push God into an inquisition box of my own design.

This song reminded me this week what a blessing it is to go about my life of faith trusting that He is holding it all in His hands. There's a plan. My soul does better when I just let Him do the planning and get on with the joy before me.

*Neverending, David Crowder Band, Remedy CD

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger christianne said...

ah! so precious. i love those pictures of your beautiful girls. and it is always such a gift to be reminded of what amazing freedom we receive when we take him at his word to really come and be like a child with him.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that eternity will be a never-ending revelation of our Lord.

Every day, we will see and experience something new about our infinite God.

We will never know all there is to know, because there will always be more to know.

Praise Him.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

You have a wonderful way with words. It is nice to see someone else who thinks it is okay not to try to know EVERYTHING about God, yet at the same time thinks we do need to study His word. The pictures of your adorable girls were perfect for this topic.

9:22 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

I never thought of it quite like that... giving us the freedom to be like a child in saying that's how we must come. I like that thought. La, la, la.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Christianne,
I find my own children quite inspirational when they aren't busy frustrating my agenda. ;) Glad they inspire you a little bit too.

Lance,
I agree with you. Praise Him, for all ETERNITY!

Narnia_Mum,
Hey there! Thanks for stopping by! I'll have to pay you a visit to your own blogging doorstep.

LL,
Oh I'm so glad you want to sing too! You've certainly got the megaphone and the silver gown for it.
(And now I am wondering about the times that Lady Wisdom herself might kick off her shoes and tra-la-la with the toddlers on the street corner.)

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home