26 July 2007

On the Catwalk



I've joined an on-line Bible Study going through the Book of Esther.

We're just getting started, so I've got a lot of first impressions.

Impression #1: King Xerxes might be an impressive historical character, but his character has not impressed me. All I can think is, "Dumb jock." Captain of the high school football team. Leader of the pack. Poster boy for Beverly Hills 90210. Xerxes was more concerned with his own pleasure and coolness factor than he is with, oh, say, his wife's purity and honor. The welfare of his own subjects. Rogues undermining his rule from within.
Xerxes liked to preen.
Xerxes liked Xerxes.

Impression #2: The coolness factor played heavily into Xerxes summoning Vashti into the party to... preen along with him? Parade? Perform? Pole dance? Prostitute? (Yes, it sounds crass, but when you read the text, what do YOU think? The door is left pretty wide open.) Once again, Xerxes cared more about what other dudes thought of him than caring for those entrusted to his care.
"Hey man, you think YOUR girl is hot? Wait 'til you get a load of MINE!"

Impression #3: So, given a direct order from your husband to come into a room full of drunken, partying men...
an order to do... well, whatever you're told to do...
Knowing that the order comes from a king and husband who is rather muddle-headed and tipsy himself...
And knowing that your husband cares very little for your honor when placed beside his own, even when he's sober...

I have to put my feet into Vashti's shoes for a moment. What would I do?
I don't know. Tonight this question is a noodler.


So until I figure out a satisfying answer, I'll contemplate this very dysfunctional marriage scenario and play you a song that completely reminds me of Xerxes, the high school football King. This song played on the radio when I was in high school.

Xerxes is preening on the catwalk.
On the catwalk.
Vashti, do a little turn on the catwalk...

Too Sexy; Right Said Fred

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger christianne said...

I remember that song! I have to confess I always found it a bit annoying.

Your picture of the peacock is amazing. We have some peacocks locally here that got displaced by a custom home development, but they still strut around and squawk in the night, letting us know they still consider that place their turf and that they really aren't too impressed with all of us.

Love your reflections on Xerxes and Vashti. Especially the part about him being the dumb jock. Oh, and when you said Vashti entered the room to her already muddle-headed husband, I first read it to say MUGGLE-headed. Ha! (Are you a Harry Potter-er? If not, you may have no idea what I mean, much less find it funny, too.)

7:39 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

That's funny, and I see what you mean. I love reading these stories and hearing the voices. With this one, for some reason, I heard the audience reaction like it was being performed at one of the "low" opera houses during Mozart's time complete with boos and hisses and thrown fruit.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Lance said...

Great observations that pique my curiosity about the king.

Those who would rather watch a PG-rated miniseries than read their Bibles don't know what they're missing, do they?

9:17 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Christianne,
I just snagged my copy of HP today at the StuffMart. No biting, no clawing, no dressed-up tweens playing Quidditch in the aisles. It was very uneventful.
(So I know what Muggle-Headed means.)

Heather,
I love that you hear the squalling crowd in the background! They're throwing fruit, drinking their weight in wine, and cheering (or booing?) Xerxes on as he prances around on his catwalk. I can totally see it.

Lance,
You're right, this Book is a little R- rated, isn't it? If our 3rd grade Sunday School teachers could see us now...

1:59 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

What a perfect combo of music and commentary! Had to laugh...still laughing as I bounce to the beat reluctantly (Yes, I too remember the song from high school). Insightful comments about Xerxes. What did you think about the way he was portrayed in One Night With the King?

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home