10 April 2007

LOST and KNOWN

Lost's title card.
My husband and I have been watching the TV series, LOST for the last year or so. I tried to avoid it, but our relatives kept on and on about what a great show it was so eventually, I got sucked in too. Let me tell you, it's a head trip, that show.

Last week, two characters from opposing "sides" (Kate and Juliet) woke up in the middle of the jungle, handcuffed together.
They both happen to have an affection for the same guy. They both happen to not really like or trust each other. And they both happen to know martial arts. Makes for an interesting scene, don't ya think?

Hiking through the jungle together, Juliet, nursing a dislocated shoulder c/o Kate, launches into the Other's (the weirdly omniscient cult society to which she belongs) main war tactic. Psychology.

"Do you really think you know Jack, Kate? You don't know anything about him. I know where he was born. Where he went to college. His GPA. Where he did his doctor's residency. How is parents met. I know how he met his wife. I know why they got divorced. What do you know about him, Kate?"
Image:LostS3Promo.jpg

I admit it's really odd that a psychological society on an uncharted tropical island maintains updated FILE FOLDERS on all the survivors of a recent plane crash. But what really got me was that Kate apparently thought she'd been bested by Juliet in that moment. She had no response. I could have just yelled at that TV screen.
"What?! YOU know Jack! You know him better than she does! Who cares what college he went to and where he did his residency? Knowing that stuff and carrying it around in a file folder doesn't mean she KNOWS Jack at all. She knows a little bit about him, but she can't say she knows him. That's plain ludicrous." Oh yeah. I was getting riled. ;)


So what do we do with this?
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' "

Matthew 7:21- 23

How much of my God-experience is me carrying around a "file folder" full of updated information? Am I trusting that file folder to be the stand-in for a relationship?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know why Jack didn't bring back all of the "beach people" to the houses with the electricity, supplies, and running water?

hmmmmmmmmmm

Sherry

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, we are hooked on Lost too and I never thought I would be getting a Bible lesson related to Lost! LOL But, you are right on! Thanks for the reminder to know HIM, not just know about HIM!

Jamin

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/jaminacema

2:14 AM  
Blogger greta lynn hernandez said...

I'm what's known in marketing as a "lagger." In other words, I'll see the show when they run it on USA about 10 years from now.

Now, onto the biblical analogy there. Are our churches partly to blame for our knowing lots of information with less intimacy in our relationship? I mean, sometimes we're so involved in the next class or the next activity that we, as church, forget to just sit together and enjoy Christ. Have we fallen into the mistake of producing good little church goers rather than Christ lovers?

For those that read that and think that I'm anti-church, I'm not. However, I am definitely pro-relationship and not-so-pro-tradition. How can we lead others, and ourselves, to complete abandon in our love relationship with Christ? Just a thought...

9:41 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I know! I thought the same thing.
Sidenote: I don't want kate and jack together. i want juliet and jack together. i think juliet will turn out good. i want kate and sawyer together, for the record.

10:49 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

I suppose the power of that show is the psychology (maybe that's why my spouse loves it so much!)

But I like your conclusion. Psychology won't work on the King of Kings.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Sherry,
Maybe that's what Jack intends. He just has to get past the nefarious black cloud of death first. Maybe???
Thanks for stopping by here! I have my sights set on visiting your blog later today. :)

Jamin, Thanks to you, too, for swinging by. I'll bring my welcome wagon your way today as well.

Greta, you lagger. (What a great term!) I'm a lagger too. I have obnly caught up on Lost because we can view it on-line.
I love what you say about cranking out good little church-goers. We need to turn the crank off and breathe deep the breath of God. And I must admit I'm not a big "program person." I want to run and hide when the VBS team starts looking for recruits.

Heather,
But what do you KNOW about Juliet? What do you REALLY KNOW about her? Do you have her file folder?

LL,
Psychology. It often fails with mankind. It ALWAYS fails with God. But it occupies so much of our time and energy.
Psychology is frequently nothing more than a distraction.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home