29 August 2006

Homeschoolers Take Recess Too

I'll admit I'm a little cyber-dense . What exactly does "meme" mean? I have a secret fear that it is a word I'm supposed to know and I'm now proving my utter and complete uncouth.
Ah well, you had an inkling anyway, didn't you?

The girls and I spent yesterday in glorious freedom while all the other kids around us went of to, *cue ominous music*, their first day of school. My oldest 2 had appointments at the new pediatrician in the morning, and the doc said, "I wondered if you guys were homeschoolers, because I couldn't imagine a parent booking an appointment for the first day of school."
It was also Rebekah's 8th birthday yesterday, so I decided we would bask in the full glory of being homeschoolers and just NOT school in honor of her birthday.
We happened to be outside at 4pm when the neighbor kids' school bus dropped them off, and I made a point to count the # of hours they'd been at school. Yow. And they probably had to wear shoes the entire time. Those public school tyrants.

But it's not just the public and private schoolers that are back at it. Oh no, the homeschoolers are getting up early, cracking the books, saying the Pledge of Allegiance and taking recess too. Just today I got tagged during recess. And the tagger, Sprittibee, says I'm "it" until I answer.

Homeschool Meme


1) ONE HOMESCHOOLING BOOK YOU HAVE ENJOYED
I just got a 4 book set called, The Lifestyle of Learning, by Marilyn Howshall. I am thrilled by the idea that learning is a lifestyle rather than a set of compartments with doors that mechanically open and close when Big Brother decides you've learned enough to pass the test with a C. I'm just beginning the book, but I'm hopeful since I am still rather ticked that the public school system squelched my thirst to learn.

2) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULDN'T BE WITHOUT
My mom. A brief history: She began homeschooling my youngest brother and sister in 1989. It was my senior year of high school and she invited me to also come home and school with her. I believe my exact words were, " 'Shyaw RIGHT!" I laughed in her face.
Fast forward to 2002, when Erin is now a mother who wants to homeschool, and my mom became our biggest cheerleader. I don't have to prove that my kids are being socialized, or that they aren't inbred, or that they are on par with all the other "normal" kids their age. Mom, I LOVE you!
She is also a tireless learner herself. Any activity, project, field trip or hair-brained idea I come up with, I know Mom would be the first person to sign-up for it.

3) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH YOU HAD NEVER BOUGHT
I'm a tightwad and don't usually buy something unless I know I'm going to use it. I do have a lot of hand-me-down curricula that take up a lot of room on the bookshelves. I'm not sure we're ever going to use it, but it kills me to get rid of it. 'Cause you just never know, right?


4) ONE RESOURCE YOU ENJOYED LAST YEAR
Other people. Like I said, I come up with a lot of hair-brained homeschooling schemes. Mom got us a giant pumpkin box from her grocery store to build a cathedral, many seminary friends have handily answered my theological and doctrinal questions that come up in our h'schooling day, I polled a large group of friends to recommend songs that draw them into worship so I could assemble a worship CD for our Honor Unit (which we still listen to all the time), my pastor's wife told me how to pester the librarian for an inter-library loan. It really does take a village where Erin's concerned.

5) ONE RESOURCE YOU WILL BE USING THIS YEAR
I found a fun, free on-line typing tutorial. I never learned to actually type so this year Rebekah and I will learn how to do it right with the help of Dance Mat Typing.

6) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BUY
A full-fledged pottery wheel and kiln.

7) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH EXISTED
A local homeschool lending library where I could:
- flip through all the different curricula that's out there so I can see, touch, smell, and taste it before I buy.
- maybe actually FIND some of the books recommended in my Konos guide! (Our library is large, but skinny on certain topics and titles.)
- borrow books with like-minded perspective from like-minded people.

8) ONE HOMESCHOOLING CATALOGUE YOU ENJOY READING
Honestly, I'd rather talk with an average Joe/Jane who has actually used the stuff and is not simply trying to sell it. "How do you like it? What is good about it? What's not so good? Did you feel like it worked for you? Was it worth the money? Show me how it works." Catalogs rarely tell me that.

9) ONE HOMESCHOOLING WEBSITE YOU USE REGULARLY
Wikipedia

10) TAG FIVE OTHER HOMESCHOOLERS
Gosh, I think I only know one other homeschooling blogger. Chris, you're on!

Instead, I'll leave you with a quiz.

What is the name of our homeschool?

1) Sponge Brain Academy
2) Hair-brained Academy
3) Teske School of Higher Learning
4) Green Grass, Quiet River School
5) Life Learners

5 Comments:

Blogger greta lynn hernandez said...

Not sure...but I like Sponge Brain Academy! :)

2:41 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

"Meme" is French for "same"--but surely you knew that from your days in Paris. And I think I'm going with "Life Learners" for your HS name...when are you going to reveal the answer?

9:02 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Ah, Kel! Pullin' out the Cajun Creole on me!
I was not pronouncing it that way in my head at all. I totally get it now. Gee, do you study languages or something?;)

I'll reveal our school name in a few days, just 'cause I know you love the suspense.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going with Green Grass, Quiet River.

And I might get around to answering your tag - who knows, school starts next week : )

10:44 AM  
Blogger Sprittibee said...

I'm so jealous. Your answers were great. :) Especially the mom part. My mom is my biggest cheerleader, too. Thanks for inspiring me to write her a thank you card.

As for the academy... Hmmm. Maybe the one with your last name in it. All of them sound wonderful. I change mine all the time, so it is different every time I give it out.

You've been to paris? Jealous again.

Thanks for playing along with the meme.

I've got beasty computer problems this weekend... wiping the animal clean and backing up on tape. It was time to kill the thing along with its viruses.

Hopefully I'll be back up by Monday!

Have a great weekend, Erin.

Love, Sprittibee

P.S. If you ever get that pottery wheel, I want the first vase after you glaze it!

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home