21 April 2006

Untitled


I know only slightly more about this piece than you. It cost me $5 at the world's greatest hidden treasure spot- Goodwill. It stands approx. 18 inches tall and is made out of cream-colored marble. On the bottom is a sticker reading "Handmade in Kenya." And it is HEAVY. Don't drop it on your toe when you're dusting the living room.


We've been having fun titling it, examining the workmanship (something museums are not so inclined to let you do with your hands, but in your own home...), and making up stories about what's happening and who carved it.



Ellie says the title is, Creation. "God is the big one and He is forming me out of the clay."



Rebekah calls it, Finding Each Other. "If somebody is in love but then they are broke apart and then they find each other again and embrace."


Untitled abstract art is great. You can interpret to your heart's content. So...

interpret!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I call this 'Aliens Wrestling'.

I debated a couple other titles: 'AWF: Alien Wrestling Federation' or 'When Aliens Get Mad'.

We all know that the alien invasion plan will be executed first in Africa, so it makes sense that a Kenyan artist composed this as a prophetic creation.

-- Steve.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Mary DeMuth said...

Steve! What a creative mind you have!

I call this anorexic nirvana...two anorexics dancing because dancing burns calories.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

"Reunion". Probably because I'm so Trinity-focused right now, but in that sculpture I really see something of the re-uniting of the Father and the Son after the breaking of their fellowship on the cross. They found each other. That's a good way to say it, Rebekah.

11:17 PM  
Blogger greta lynn hernandez said...

I call it "Fulfillment." A mother is rejoicing with her little one as she recalls the joy of childhood--perhaps reliving it through the moments with her child. (Can you tell what I've been praying for lately?) :)

4:12 PM  
Blogger gramarty said...

God is entreating me to look into his face...I"m pulling away. He's telling me that soon it'll be time to go home...home to a place I've never been but one where he is. I don't want to go. I like it here with my friends and my toys. "Please, can't I stay longer?" (title)

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home