10 February 2006

An Art Test

Last week I found and bought someone's cast off table top model of a world famous sculpture. $5 at Goodwill. Not bad, eh?

For school this week I "planted" this certain work of art in the path of my two learners. Lovingly dubbed, The Mystery Sculpture, we set out to do a little Internet research to see what we could find out about him. *


Here's a chance to test your own art knowledge:

1) What's the title of this sculpture?
2) Who was the artist?
3) What year was this work created?
4) What medium was used to create this sculpture?
Don't cheat! I'll post the answers in a future blog entry, along with what we've learned about him.


* It's not so important to me that my kids memorize mere facts- say, for instance, the population of New York City, which is going to change. I'd much rather that they learn how to find out the population of New York City. What it is now, what it was in 1846, what it's projected to be 60 years from now. And maybe even what the average New Yorker likes for breakfast. You can find it all, if you know where to look. So we're learning to look together.*


1 Comments:

Blogger Sprittibee said...

I guessed "The Thinker" and "Bronze"... but I had no idea about the Artist or Date. :) I re-read your post afterwards and was glad to see that at least what I knew was right. :) Art was my favorite subject in school, but I hated all the history part. I just wanted to look, and do! I painted a copy of a Robert Yarber painting in 8th grade that I still have. He was sort of a modern artist... the painting is called "Falling in Love" and it looks EXACTLY like his. :) I haven't painted since then, really. I miss it.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home